N.E.W (New Expressive Works) – An Artist Residency Program
OCTOBER 2014 – MARCH 2015 RESIDENCY
Studio 2@Zoomtopia is excited to continue into the second year of our Artist Residency program. Applications are now available. Deadline for applications is EXTENDED TO AUGUST 27th 2014.
N.E.W. RESIDENCY APPLICATION GUIDELINES
- Important dates for the OCTOBER 2014 - MARCH 2015 residency. Click here.
- Application process. Click here.
- Advisory Board, N.E.W. Staff and more about N.E.W. Residents. Click here.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:With the goal of creating more sustainable opportunities for new works of artistic excellence to be created, N.E.W. (New Expressive Works) is ready to accept applications from choreographers for the October 2014 – March 2015 Session.
OUR VISION: 1) To support artistic excellence in the creation of new works by choreographers from ALL levels in their professional careers. 2) To encourage and promote diversity in movement genres (classical, modern, Western, non-Western etc.)
GOAL: Select 4 N.E.W. residents to choreograph and produce 20-minute works. These works-in-progress will be showcased at the end of the six-month residency in a 3-night ticketed performance sponsored by Studio 2@Zoomtopia.
THE RESIDENCY IN BRIEF
- Each resident receives a maximum of 6 hours of rehearsal time per week. These will be divided into two 3-hour slots and will only be available between 8am and 6pm on weekdays.
- N.E.W. residents participate in “Fieldwork,” a peer-to-peer feedback process. Every 6 weeks, or so, all participants will gather (with facilitator and N.E.W. Program Director) to share your developing work and exchange feedback to support cultivating insight into composition and strengthening one’s ability to give critical commentary. These dates will be confirmed on October 1st during your orientation.
- Residents will present their work in progress once, in the middle of the residency to an invited audience. This rehearsal will be a Fieldwork facilitated session where you will receive feedback from the invited (you can invite mentors and those you want to hear from) guests. – - – The final work will be showcased the last weekend of the residency. This showcase will be a 3-night ticketed performance run, sponsored by Studio 2@Zoomtopia. The dates for this residency will be March 27th – 29th 2015.
- All resident artists become part of the studio community and we ask that you will be responsible in helping to maintain our studios.
- We have a second studio in Zoomtopia that will support the residency program – Studio 7 is an accessible, over 950 square feet dance floor. Residents will be allocated to both studios for their rehearsals.
Orientation: October 1st, 6:30pm
First week of Residency Week of October 19th
Final Week of Residency: Week of March 29th
Final Performance: March 27th/28th/29th
In order for us to consider your application complete, we will need the following:-
1. A completed Application Form.
2. One copy of your latest dance resume
3. URL(s) for work samples (maximum length 15 minutes) . Please make sure that each sample is an unabridged representation of your work, NOT a montage of excerpts or highlights of several works.
4. Any press coverage you may have received (up to 3 samples).
5. A written recommendation from a mentor/colleague to help strengthen your case.
Mailing address: Subashini Ganesan, N.E.W. Program Director, 810 SE Belmont, Ste 2, Portland, OR 97214
Physical drop-off of application:
You can choose to drop-off your applications with us at Studio 2. Please email us at email@example.com to coordinate a time.
For Questions or Guidance:
Contact Subashini Ganesan; firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO WE ARE:
N.E.W. Advisory Board:-
Mike Barber, Founder, Ten Tiny Dances
Erin Boberg Doughton, Performing Arts Program Director, PICA (Portland Institute for Contemporary Art)
Michelle Fujii, Artistic Director, Portland Taiko
Hannah Kosstrin, Visiting Assistant Professor of Dance, Reed College
Katherine Longstreth, Fieldwork Facilitator and Choreographer
Carole Zoom, Artist & Founder of Zoomtopia
Subashini Ganesan, Program Founder and Director
Emma Morehouse, Projects Manager
Robin Greenwood, Studio Tech Manager
WHO ARE OUR PAST & PRESENT RESIDENTS?
October 2012 – March 2013
- Tracy Broyles
- Stephanie Lanckton
- Rachel Slater
- Robert Tyree
April 2013 – October 2013
- Keyon Gaskin
- Allie Hankins
- Kaj-Anne Pepper
- Danielle Ross
October 2013 – March 2014
- Yulia Arakelyan
- Luke Gutgsell
- Eric Nordstrom
- Lucy Lee Yim
March 2014 – October 2014 (PRESENT)
- Muffie Connelly
- Suniti Dernovsek
- Nancy Ellis
- Darvejon Jones